Commandment 1: Thou Shalt Plan Before Pinning
- Set-up your account properly, filling out your profile totally.
- Add “Pin it” buttons to your blog for easy pinning and make sure to link to your other social media properly.
- Know your target audience and what they are pinning.
- Set up your initial Boards and add content.
Commandment 2: Thou Shalt Make Stunning Pins
- Only use the best images for your blog.
- Use image filter tools such as Instagram
- Have a variety of content.
Commandment 3: Thou Shalt Follow a Strategy
- Fill your boards evenly – lots of content, don’t neglect some boards.
- If you sell products add a price to your pins.
- Link back to your website in your description
- Consistently post pins – don’t do it all at once then forget to come back later!
Commandment 4: Thou Shalt Be Creative in your Pinning Strategy
- Direct your traffic with call to action buttons
- Use Pinterest to conduct contests.
- Have publicly editable boards for competitions.
Commandment 5: Thou Shalt Honor thy Source
- Make sure the pin links somewhere – click before re-pinning someone else’s pin and make sure the source is legitimate.
- Add a watermark to your created content to preserve your branding.
- Watch the copyright of what you pin.
Commandment 6: Thou Shalt be Social
- Comment on other pins – do unto others and they will do unto you!
- Thank those who repin your pins.
- Tag other Pinners by name, use the @ sign to involve others.
Commandment 7: Thou Shalt Spread the Love
- Be the expert – Cover your product and things that are helpful to your products so that everyone comes to your Pinterest Boards first.
- Learn from other brands who successfully take advantage of Pinterest.
- Keep your content fresh!
Commandment 8: Thou Shalt Keep SEO in Mind
- Carry over categories, keywords, and urls to your Pins and Profile that you use on your website.
- Every bit of content on your site should be referred to with an original content pin.
- Each image on your site should be something your target audience would want to pin.
Commandment 9: Thou Shalt Take Full Advantage of Thy Resources
- Install a “Pin It” button on your browser and use it whenever you find content that fits your strategy.
- Keep the Pinterest App on your phone – take pictures and pin them while you are out and about.
- Look into Management Tools that might help you pin more efficiently.
Commandment 10: Research & Maintain Thy Pins
- Check your Google Analytics for traffic that was referred by Pinterest.
- The internet is constantly changing – check re-pins regularly to make sure they are still valid links.
- Track your likes, followers, comments and repins – and consistently respond to them.